Wednesday, March 27, 2013

001. new beginnings/missing San Francisco


Spring is coming and I'm ready for change! I'm ready for a big move, for green spears to sprout out of dark damp soil, for the air to smell like rain. Sure, there's a foot of snow on the ground right now but a girl can dream, right? I am and always have been a great admirer of winter and the heavy, clean snow it brings to the foothills of Colorado but this year, especially this time of year and this moment in my life, I want nothing less than spring! Music is an incredible weather trigger for me. I have songs that I adore in the summer that just don't fit right in the quiet cold of winter and vice versa. I heard a particular song this morning that sent me back a full year.

San Francisco, March 2012
This time last year I spent a week in San Francisco with my good friend Michael. He's the kind of friend you can lose touch with for a year and the second you see him again, he welcomes you with open arms and sassy hilarity. This time last year I had just started to fall deeply in love with Jonathan. Friends for years, he took me out on a day of perfect dates and everything changed when he took me to a park in the middle of the night to catch a glimpse of the northern lights. It was hard to focus on the salty San Francisco air with this man on my mind but I did it anyway. I spent the first few days with a family friend, Anna, and her sweet daughter, Eva. We walked around the Mission and spent some time in the greatest and strangest stores.  She drove me to the ocean, so I could say a quick, rain-soaked hello. We dropped Eva off at pre-school and went shopping. One rainy afternoon, we drove to the top of the Twin Peaks and looked out over the city. The view was something special. The next day we took Eva to the California Academy of Sciences, in the middle of Golden Gate park, to see the penguins. It was a really great visit. After a few days, Michael met me in the Mission and we went out for a delicious dinner of pupusas, a traditional Salvadoran dish made of thick corn tortillas filled with cheese, meat, and beans. After dinner we took a long bus ride to his home in the Richmond district. Over the next few days we wandered around Haight-Ashbury, drank a delightful concoction of alcohol out of a fishbowl, drank New Belgium beer on St. Patrick's day, spent hours walking on the beach looking for sand dollars, made delicious chocolate chip pancakes that looked like the moon, and on my last day we went on an incredible hike along the coast, amongst thick green trees and moss. Afterwards, enjoying a cup of coffee on a bench on a cliff overlooking the sea I made him listen to Rilo Kiley's Spectacular Views with me, sharing headphones and agreed that no, there were definitely no bad words for the coast that day. It was this song shuffling onto my iPod this morning that's got me wanderlusting real bad and itching for spring.


The view from our park bench. San Francisco, March 2012

Windswept Me. San Francisco, March 2012


In 2 short weeks, Jonathan will return from having been on tour with his band for one month. I am so not cut out for playing the part of the dutiful girlfriend at home while the man travels but my man is something special and the band is pretty incredible and my love for him makes it doable (and at the same time so damn difficult!) When he gets home we will start the moving process. If all goes well, in May we will share a house with some friends of ours and their perfect dog and bountiful garden. I am so so ready to live with him, to have all our belongings in one place. I am so looking forward to this next step in our relationship and this next big step in my life. 

So I suppose now you know a little about me. I have loyally and avidly followed certain blogs for years; most notably Molly Wizenberg's Orangette. I've often dreamed of making my own "orangette", consisting of photographs, crafts, stories, and yes, the occasional recipe.
I invite you to join me on this journey. Who knows what shall become of it!


With love,
Marta.


San Francisco, March 2012

Chocolate-chip Moon Pancakes. San Francisco, March 2012

First sight of the Pacific in far too long. San Francisco, March 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment